I am rereading the book Bridge to Terabithia. In this book, a boy named Jesse Aarons(AKA Jess) is boy that is in a rural farm family. Early in the book, he meets Leslie, their new neighbors. They become friends after Leslie beats Jess in a race.
Jess is the hero in the story. I think he is on a loss of innocence journey, and will gain strength and courage after the tragedy. He is a bit clueless about the world, like an average ten year old. He learns a lot from his mentor, Leslie.
Leslie is the mentor in the story. She teaches Jess many things, like how to use his imagination. They use their imaginations to create Terabithia, a fantasy land where Jess and Leslie rule as king and queen, and Leslie's dog Prince Terrien as the prince and court jester.
I think the shadow of the book is Jess himself, because at many times, he doubts himself and is a bit depressed. I think this is because Jess needs to improve his relationship with his father, and shows this early in the book by picking on May Belle, Jess' sister. He becomes jealous of her when they hug and kiss each other, and says that he feels that his dad thinks he was too old for this since the day he was born.
Lastly, I think the shapeshifter in this book is May Belle, because she annoys Jess a lot, but later in the story she becomes a supporting character. She threatens to tell her mom, but this is the normal behavior of six and seven year olds. I am almost near the end of the book, but at the end, May Belle becomes a important character in the World of Terabithia.
No comments:
Post a Comment